:: History

When we turn the pages of the history of Madras Catholic Directory dating back to 1851 , we learn that there were eight English medium Schools which were imparting free education for boys and girls separately.  The schools  run for the boys were located at Armanian Street, Royapuram , New Town, St. Thomas Mount and Pallavaram. The other three schools for the girls were at Maclean Street, St. Thomas mount and Pallavaram.

Goiong by history, the present St. Joseph's Anglo-Indian Boys' School was once called ‘New Town Catholic School'.  Rev. Fr. Felise and Italian capuchin priest was the pioneer, who purchased nearly 70,554 Sq.ft. of land on 11th June 1825.  he built St. Andrew's church at Kalathiappa Street, which was the first church in Vepery and thus entire making Vepery was a strong Roman Catholic centre.

Initially the New Town Catholic School was under the administration of St. Andrew's Church.  Later, in 1930 St. Joseph's Church was constructed at the school campus and it was made a Parish and the school come under the management of St. Joseph's Church.

On 20th August 1897, under the Director of Public Instruction , No. 9981 , the school was upgraded as high school.  Rev. Fr. Meyer SSJ(Mill Hill Father) was appointed as Parish Priest of St. Andrew's Church and also incharge of the school.

Owing to the rapid growth of the catholic population, Rev. Fr. Meyer SSJ was driven by sheer necessity to raise a new church in the school premise to cater to the spiritual needs of the people.  In 1908,  Dr. J. Colgan the first Archbishop of Madras laid the foundation store for the new Church.  The church construction was completed by Rev. Fr. Frutiyer and Dr. Allen, then the Archbishop of Madras solemnized and blessed the church on 19th March.  It was during Rev. Fr. Frutiyer's tenure that the school was named as St. Joseph's Anglo-Indian School.  Thanks to the relentless effort of  Rev. Fr. Peter J. Lobo the school was upgraded as high school in the year 1959.  Rev. Fr. S. Arulappa, who latter became the Archbishop of Hyderabad, left no stone centered and obtained the permanent recognition up to Std XI on 11th June 1964.                       

In the year 1978, during the tenure of Rev. Fr. John  Pillaiveetil, to add a feather in the cap, the high school was upgraded as Higher Secondary School.  Having reached the present status, the school caters to the educational needs of all section of students, irrespective of caste, creed and community for human excellence.

Appreciation to

Notice Board

Quote of the day
Bloom Where You are Planted.
Copyright © 2011 - St.Joseph's Anglo Indian Boys' Higher Secondary School - All Rights Reserved.Developed by ArcherWebSol
St.Joseph's Anglo Indian Boys' Higher Secondary School
Vepery, Chennai - 600 007.
Phone: 044-25610439
Visitor Count